Make Reservation

Reservations are never required but recommended and can be made by calling 618-549-6400. Open six days a week, closed Mondays. Catering available!

Fine American Cuisine in Carbondale, IL
about us

About Us

The freshly restored Newell House Restaurant offers great American cuisines with a neighborhood twist. With its casual and unique atmosphere, it serves as a great place to catch up with a few friends or the entire family. Featuring a fully stocked bar, an extensive specialty drink menu and a fine wine list with more than 40 offerings. Open six days a week, closed Mondays.

Reservations are never required but recommended and can be made here or by calling 618-549-6400

A Little Bit of History

The first business located at the southwest corner of North Washington and East Main Streets was a two story frame hotel, built in 1855 by James Campbell.

The hotel was destroyed by fire in the early 1860′s and the lot stood vacant until it was purchased in 1870 to build a new four story hotel & general merchandising store, called the Newell House Hotel. The building was constructed in 1871-72 and was one of the town’s most impressive buildings of that era at a cost of $73,000 to build.

The building was purchased by James Pease in 1899 and remodeled with a new Italianate-inspired design. The newly remodeled four story 51 room hotel re-opened in 1900 and was billed as the most complete in Egypt except the Halloway in Cairo. The hotel featured Brussels carpets, an elegant new bar, a new dining room, & a ladies’ parlor.

Soon after reopening the hotel was severely damaged by fire in 1901 when a porter started a fire in an ornamental fireplace grate. Pease re-built the hotel, but the new design was only three stories tall. The building was renovated again in 1914 and the exterior was covered with stucco to resemble stone.

Called “The Newell Hotel”, the local newspaper reported that 10,000 new pieces of furniture & fixtures were purchased for building’s interior. The hotel operated successfully in the mid twentieth century and acquired the name of the “Robert’s Hotel” in the 1930′s. In the 1960′s, a metal façade was applied over the historic building to modernize the look.

In 2003 the Newell House Café opened and quickly became a popular dining establishment featuring an Italian/American cuisine and an extensive wine menu. In 2005 a martini lounge was added in the lower level called the Grotto.

In 2007 an extensive exterior renovation started to remove the 1960′s metal façade and expose the original building exterior that had been covered for nearly half a century. The upper two floors were converted into loft style office suites.

Downtown Carbondale is fast becoming a popular destination for good food, drinks, & conversation. And the best is yet to come!

Get Directions